Friday, October 16, 2015

Super Late-Night Posts: 61 Hours

Sorry
This blog post was meant to be sent a whole lot earlier on today (or technically yesterday as it is 12:40 am at the time I type this up). I decided to run a quick update to get Windows 10 on my laptop and while I should've expected a long wait time, I still was a bit surprised to find myself waiting as long as I did. Well hopefully from here on out, posts will be more regular as I plan to blog more than once a week (cross your fingers).

Anyways
Back to the reflections. I began a new book earlier on called 61 Hours. The genre this time switches from the suspenseful, horror filled books of Stephen King to the action packed thriller that is 61 Hours. The narration and stylistic choices that are used in what I have covered so far (which is not much but enough to understand a bit of the author's style) really bring in the feelings being conveyed, some of which are harder to distinguish from others. Feelings of confusion, the tiny bit of excitement for what awaits you on the next page, and the smallest comments or small grins you can't help but have escape as you begin to read gives the reader a sense of immersion. At the first few pages, I had already had myself hooked on our main character and his story, a character simply named The Lawyer. A mysteriously vague title to be given, so simple, just as the rest of the important contents of the story. Entire large one hour long conversations are skipped to keep suspense going, silence is seen in the character's first interactions, and little is explained to us in order to keep that feeling of mysteriousness that surrounds our character. The Lawyer, a character that at first, seems so simple, so empty of character, that you can't help but feel your own personality project from his actions. As for future pages in the book, I expect his character to build up more as the story fleshes out and the mysterious aura surrounding our character begins to fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment